I am in the process of planning a Rock Band themed birthday party for my hubby, Rob. He loves the game (particularly playing the drums) and we have spent many fun nights rocking out with friends and family so I hope that everything goes well and we all have a good time on Sunday.
We’ve been collecting a pretty good library of songs over the last couple of years. We’ve got a lot of music, from The Beatles to Lady Gaga but there are some glaring holes in our songlist because there are a lot of songs that just aren’t available for the game. Yes, I know that there are all sorts of licencing and other issues when it comes to music so I can understand that there are reasons why some songs haven’t been released but there are some things that I would love to see.
And so, just in case anyone from the Harmonix company happens to read my blog, I would like to make the following suggestion for either a new Rock Band game (like the Beatles or Green Day editions they released a few years back) or for a batch of downloadable content:
Soundtracks that Rock
I mean, think about it. Movies and Rock and Roll have had a long history together and there are some movies with truly ICONIC soundtracks. I came up with the following list of songs that I think would really celebrate the relationship between rock music and the movies:
- Songs from Grease (can you imagine that big megamix DJ’s pull out at parties? It would be so much fun to play),
- Footloose (Footloose, We Need a Hero, Let’s Hear it For the Boys),
- The Blues Brothers (Think, Shake Your Tail Feather, Jailhouse Rock),
- The Wall (my vote goes for Another Brick in the Wall but Comfortably Numb also works),
- Rocky Horror Picture Show (Time Warp, Hot Paptootie, etc.)
- Saturday Night Fever
- Mama Mia
These would all work in the game and are similar enough to tracks that have been released that I am sure they would be popular with the Rock Band audience.
I have been trying to stick with rock songs (as opposed to suggesting that they do a Broadway theme) but I still say that the Rent soundtrack would be awesome.
- Highway to the Danger zone or Take My Breath Away or You Lost That Loving Feeling from Top Gun would be fun as would:
- Lady Marmalade from Moulin Rouge,
- Fever Dog from Almost Famous,
- Don’t You Forget About Me from The Breakfast Club,
- What a Feeling from Flashdance,
- the theme from Fame,
- several songs from Animal House,
- I’ve Had the Time of My Life from Dirty Dancing or
- Mrs. Robinson from The Graduate (either the original or one of the punk covers I have heard over the years).
This is certainly NOT a definitive list and I am personally more invested in some songs than others (seriously, wouldn’t it be insanely fun to play The Time Warp on this game?) but I just want to say that there is some real potential here and I, for one, have my fingers crossed that these songs are someday made available to me.